5 reasons Social Media and Internet Marketing should NOT be replacing or overtaking other media purchases
- Human beings are NOT ONE DIMENSIONAL – they see marketing messages from many different mediums EVERY MINUTE
- Try as we might with survey’s and surveillance, humans CAN NOT recall exactly where they saw or heard a marketing message
- The data collected by every website and Social Media Network is only a HISTORY OF THE PAST
- The data CAN NOT predict the future since it cannot extrapolate consumer experience
- The data collected DOES NOT know where the consumer is in the buying cycle
Is my office bugged? Article on Behavioral Marketing could be a recorded conversation between my business partner and me.
My business partner and I have been discussing – lamenting – this same topic of so called behavioral marketing for the past several months, maybe even the past year.
What I find really irritating are companies, like Dodge for instance, who know I bought a vehicle, what I bought, and where I bought it, yet still send me unrelated service emails (standard oil change when I own a diesel – big cost difference) as well as continuing to target me on the internet as if I am not already a customer.
I have yet to sit down with a Media Rep who can prove to me all this datamining is anything but an educated guess – the same educated guess we have been using when purchasing any media.